Re: [Aroid-l] OT Strelitzia

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] OT Strelitzia
  • From: "Rob Nicholson" RNICHOLS@email.smith.edu
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:25:43 -0500

Dear Dr. Waddick,
I raised this taxa from seed started in 1998 (Smith number 40-98, Sseed
from Silverhill Seed , Capetown, S. Africa (on the web) and was received
as S. juncea. It had fully bladed leaves at first and each subsequent
flush of leaves had smaller blades and our plant now has three foot long
leaves which are topped by a minute 1" wide by 4" long oval blade. We
can photograph and send as file if need be.
Regards, Rob nicholson
conservatory manager

>>> jwaddick@kc.rr.com 2/8/2005 2:04:58 PM >>>
Dear IASers;
	Excse the off topic question on Strelitzia juncea. Adult
plants can get to near 8 ft with long grey-green petioles, no leaf
blade. Flowers are very similar to typical bird-of-paradise.

	My question. Do seedlings resemble typical S. reginae ( i.e
with a leaf blade) ?	If so, when do the new leaves emerge without
a leaf blade?

		Thanks	Jim W.
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.