RE: [Aroid-l] The flowers of ZZ

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] The flowers of ZZ
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:44:55 -0500

What great pictures – as always at your site. We have an article on the taxonomy of Zamioculcas coming in the Aroideana that will be out in late summer, possibly with a small additional piece on their huge jump into favour as a house plant, if I can stir my lazy bones. I might ask you for a couple of pictures if that comes to pass – any chance?

Perigone is a word for a perianth in which the parts are undifferentiated (so all perigones are perianths, but not all perianths are perigones!). Those little nubbins which all look alike make it a perigone if you want to use the word that is very often chosen when describing the perianth of individual flowers in the Araceae.

Regards, Derek