[Aroid-l] Updates from the IAS

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Updates from the IAS
  • From: Albert M Huntington amh@ieee.org
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:48:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

  Sorry I haven't written a formal note from the IAS management for a while.
All I can say is that things have been busy for a lot of us recently - which
may be a good thing, but doesn't give a lot of time for volunteer work.

  That said, here's some news:

- The members area of the IAS website has been updated with all the newsletter
archives for the past few years, including the latest issue 27-1.  Our new
editor Emily did a great job putting a really engaging issue together - one of
the best to date, and thanks for that should go to the many members who
contributed articles as well.

- Speaking of the members area, Enid has been doing an excellent job
administering the members area for several months now.  Hopefully, our
responsiveness to problems with access has much improved from the old regime,
so if you had problems in the past, it's worth a try signing up again.  The
section is available to members only, and you can apply for a password at
http://www.aroid.org/access/accessform.html

- Joep Moonen has been selected as the keynote speaker for the 2005 Show and
Sale.  There was an aborted attempt to bring him over a few years ago, and it's
about time for another try.  Last time we ended up with his slides, but a
hurricane prevented his actual attendance to present them.  He now has all new
material, which we're all looking forward to seeing, weather permitting.  The
show and sale will be September 17th and 18th at Fairchild Tropical Botanic
Garden in Miami, as usual.

- The IAS is gearing up to begin accepting registrations of aroid cultivars
soon. Before we can do this effectively, we need help in compiling lists of
currently existing cultivar names.  Please take the time to stop by the IAS
website at http://www.aroid.org/cultivars and help get us started.

- Paul Resslar, the membership chair, is gearing up to send out membership
expiration notices to those of you who haven't renewed your membership for
2005.  Please save your society the cost of a stamp and postcard, and renew now
if you've been putting it off.

-  We have been trying, sometimes successfully and sometimes not, to improve
the member experience with the International Aroid Society.  We know there are
still problems, but we can't solve your problem without hearing from you.  If
there is anything you need from your society, please let us know.  There's a
whole page of contacts who are ready to help you out at
http://www.aroid.org/society/contacts.html

Good Growing,
Albert Huntington
President, IAS