RE: [Aroid-l] Variegated Shinglers

Title: RE: [Aroid-l] Variegated Shinglers
At 1:46 AM -0800 2/18/05, michael mahan wrote:
Please excuse me for asking a dumb question but what is a philo SHINGLERS ?? is that a philo that has the leaves arranged shingle style as in a roof .one laying over the next ??  Mike
Indeed Michael, that is exactly what it is like.
Neither of the following shots really give a good sense of the shingling nature some of these plants provide, generally with juvenile leaves, but they're the best that I could find, and can't provide my own shots until I've got a scanner for slides.
I don't know of any Philodendron species which have this habit so pronounced, but certainly the species mentioned in the original post, as well as several other Monstera and Raphidophora species show this phenomenon with their early growth. The mature leaves generally look entirely different, although the shingle leaves on one Raphidophora species are the mature leaves.
http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/botanytextbooks/lifeforms/climbingplants/a0655tx.html
http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/botanytextbooks/lifeforms/epiphytes/a1143tx.html

Jonathan

p.s. Not a dumb question - none of us know everything that we'd like to know - luckily, we can be in a community where knowlegde is willingly shared.