RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron imbe

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron imbe
  • From: "Tropicals" Tropicals@SolutionsAnalysis.net
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:33:35 -0500

Hello Michael.  We have a large variegated P imbe; what do you want to know?
We have found it prefers to be dry, especially able to rest during winter.
Spring and Summer bring strong climbing growth.  The leaves are about 19 x
9".  The temperatures extremes are 50 - 80dF.  Although it seems to prefer a
low humidity, it does fine with up to 70" providing there is good air
circulation. No direct sun without shade cloth or other means of tint so as
not to burn the leaves.  We actually put 'plastic' file folders inside the
'clear' portions of the corrugated roof and it highly increased variegation.
The more light the more white variegation.  We use our typical aroid mix for
soil, which you already have.  We are happy to answer any other questions
you may have.

According to AB Graf "imbe" (Pernambuco to Sao Paulo) is the Brazilian
Indian's name for most climbing Philodendron.  The species has leaves oblong
sagittate, parchment-like and with veins nearly at right angles, some
reddish beneath to 35 cm long and 18 cm wide; petioles marked red.

Further, for 'variegatum' (Guanabara); waxy sagittate leaves with pointed
basal lobes, and irregularly variegated; one side of leaf may be dark green
with cream marbling, the other side cream with nile green and dark green

Christian and Bill