RE: [Aroid-l] Eminium lehmanii

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Eminium lehmanii
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:51:55 +0000

>From: <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
>To: "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
>Subject: [Aroid-l] Eminium lehmanii
>Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:44:26 -0500

Dear Dan,

There is a member in Holland who grows these, ask him (wish I could remember his e-mail!!). These plants grow and bloom in the 'mild' winter months of their native land, and go dormant in the VERY hot and dry summer, so may NOT do well for you unless you do all kinds of 'magic' in your winters or in a super-controlled inviroment. You may want to hold your $$ until you manage to obtain more info on these 'tricky' genera. For an impressive Eminium-like plant with a purple spathe and a horrible smell, which you are looking for, try Dracunculus, it grows WELL in the USA, sometimes becomming a weed.
The best, and good growing!!

Hello fellow aroiders,
>I was hoping someone could tell me about Eminium lehmanii. It has a beautiful maroon-black spathe and so I'm sort of smitten with it!! I was thinking of getting a couple of these for my collection, but they are a bit pricey and so I'd like all the information I can get before committing to a purchase. All I know is the ones being offered originally came from Uzbekistan. Are these summer growers?? How much cold can they take?? I live in zone 6a in Western Pennsylvania and would like to grow them in pots for the summer and then store them in the house for the winter like an Amorph. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
>Daniel Devor
>Gibsonia, PA
>zone 6a/5b
>Aroid-l mailing list