RE: [Aroid-l] Scaring systematics...

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Scaring systematics...
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" edggon@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 01:06:34 +0000

Dear Lord P,

Yes, you´re correct. Incarum pavonii was Asterostigma pavonii... And Croatiella is a brand new genus for a not so new species... In 2002 Tom Croat recollected Asterostigma integrifolium in Ecuador. I was suspicious for a long time that this "Asterostigma" was not a real Asterostigma (now a genus endemic to Brazil), but I thought it could be a second species of Incarum. When I got DNA material, together with a close analysis of flowers and other features, I realized that "Asterostigma" integrifolium was, in fact, a new and somewhat isolated genus in the Spathicarpeae, only losely related to Spathicarpa and Synandrospadix. For those wanting to see the entire story, take a look at the article whose abstract is below:

Gonçalves, E. G.: Two new Andean genera for the tribe Spathicarpeae (Araceae). – Willdenowia 35: 319-326. – ISSN 0511-9618; © 2005 BGBM Berlin-Dahlem.
Two unispecific Andean genera are described as new to science in the tribe Spathicarpeae (Araceae) and illustrated, based on two species formerly placed in the genus Asterostigma. The genus Incarum is erected to accommodate A. pavonii that occurs in Andean Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador, and the new combination Incarum pavonii is validated. The genus Croatiella is erected to accommodate A. integrifolium from Ecuador and the new combination Croatiella integrifolia is validated. Incarum is considered related to the Andean genera Gorgonidium and Spathantheum, whereas Croatiella seems to be an isolated lineage within the core Spathicarpeae. The arguments to support these new genera come from cpDNA sequence data, as well as from biogeographical and morphological aspects.

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia