[Aroid-l] Auction Payments, Contacting IAS, etc.

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Auction Payments, Contacting IAS, etc.
  • From: Dan Levin levin@pixar.com
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:06:37 -0800

John, Jeff, Susan and fellow IAS members all:

Thanks for bringing all of these things to our attention; i.e. your wayward
auction billings, Paypal concerns, the mystery of IAS contacts, etc.

First of all, there is a fairly extensive index page to be found online at
aroid.org. Selecting "the IAS" link from the home page will take you to:
http://www.aroid.org/society/index.html
From there you can find the best person to direct your inquiries, along with
links to the current IAS Officers and Board members. You should =always=
feel free to direct any IAS related questions or concerns you might have to
a Board member, or go directly to the top (current IAS president, yours truly).
It's critically important we get your feedback after all-!

RE the "missed billings": not sure what happened here exactly, but we'll be
certain to revisit our follow-up procedures prior to the next online auction.
It's possible a bill was somehow overlooked at either end. We don't exactly
have a collections department, so your forthrightness is much appreciated.
We'll also review our Paypal payment links to see if these need to be made
easier to find and/ or navigate. That said, much Paypal info currently resides
on the "Join IAS" page.

As an aside, I would ask all good people out in aroid-L land to keep in mind
that the IAS leadership is comprised of folks just as yourself.
The society operates on the shoulders of individuals who donate their time,
energies and expertise in order to sustain or create this very forum, the web
site & it's vast contents; the show and plant sales and associated online auction;
arrangements for guest speakers & special events; the editing, publication and
distribution of Aroideana & Newsletter; membership records, sale of back-issues
and aroid literature; as well as the myriad operational requirements (accounting,
book-keeping, etc.) of running a non-profit group; etc., etc. All of these things are
accomplished largely in the background by 'just folk' from our membership, many
of whom have been keeping IAS alive for years and years. We are a very small
organization and we persist without benefit of an office or full-time staff. The IAS
Board "meets" & conducts business via email, since as a practical matter we are
distributed across the globe. Further, it is not uncommon for a board member to
occasionally be pre-occupied by their day job(s), out in the field or what have you.

I'm compelled to explain all of this not to make excuses, but to provide for those
who may not already know it a better understanding of what's actually going on
behind the wizard's curtain, here in the land of Aroid Oz. That the IAS exists at
all is testimony to the hard work of many people, some no longer with us, who
simply have a shared interest in the Araceae.

Your suggestions, positive contributions in any form, concerns and criticisms are
all sincerely encouraged. In fact, they are essential for keeping the IAS going and
improving. This includes just being a member, by the way! Your membership dues
help cover the very real costs (but not all the costs unfortunately- more on that later)
of making aroid.org and Aroideana a reality.

I return you now to our regularly scheduled programming...

-Dan Levin/ IAS