[Aroid-l] Philodendron pollination???

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Philodendron pollination???
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:29:42 -0500

I have many philodendrons in flower now and I have been trying to catch a flower at the right time. The problem it seems is finding pollen. I have a flower open tonight and around 8 more flowers on different plants opening in the next few days. I can usually catch them open late at night or early in the morning. But can anyone tell me when and how to collect the pollen? The top portion of the spadix always seems to rot away at the first chance it gets. Maybe their is a trick to it or a certain time to get it. I will check todays flower early in the morning and see if their is a change. Philo Angra dos Reis in full bloom at 2:30 AM whitish green flower . It does have a bit of a sweet smell to it strong enough to lead me to the flower. Only the real aroid nuts would be up that late to see a flower LOL.
Aroid-l mailing list