RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron pollination???

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron pollination???
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:41:57 +0000

From : 	Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
Sent : Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:29 AM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : [Aroid-l] Philodendron pollination???

Dear Brian,
Like all aroids w/ unisexual blooms (male and female zones seperated), you will find pollen being produced on the night and early morning generally on the SECOND night of the cycle. The first night the bloom opens and the female (lower) zone is wet and receptive, and the constriction ("waist") of the spathe is open, but on the second night and early morning the constriction is closed and the pollen is shed, somtimes in large, conspicous 'strings', othertimes less obvious, from the upper/male portion of the spadix. You can actually cut away the entire spathe from a bloom destined for pollen production and cover w/ a makeshift plastic-wrap loosley fitted 'cover' to ensure pollen collection.

Good luck.

Julius>>I have many philodendrons in flower now and I have been trying to catch a flower at the right time. The problem it seems is finding pollen. I have a flower open tonight and around 8 more flowers on different plants opening in the next few days. I can usually catch them open late at night or early in the morning. But can anyone tell me when and how to collect the pollen? The top portion of the spadix always seems to rot away at the first chance it gets. Maybe their is a trick to it or a certain time to get it. I will check todays flower early in the morning and see if their is a change. Philo Angra dos Reis in full bloom at 2:30 AM whitish green flower . It does have a bit of a sweet smell to it strong enough to lead me to the flower. Only the real aroid nuts would be up that late to see a flower LOL.<<