[Aroid-l] RE: Helicodiceros potting

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] RE: Helicodiceros potting
  • From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail@hctc.com>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:41:15 -0800

> The only benefit I could see is that the offsets or
> dormant "eyes" might grow more happily being released from
> the apical dominance of the main growing point.
> But maybe that's no point at all....

That makes sense... but to make a more obvious (?)
observation, in the wild, where the plant was spreading out
by offsets, probably the offsets would angle away from the
parent tuber.  And if the species has a rhizomatous growth,
lengthening over time, it more likely naturally lengthens
across the ground rather than rising above or burrowing
deeper.  Just the other day, at Lyon Arboretum, I saw some
Xanthosoma of the type with "banana-like" trunks, but grown
so long the trunks were lying on the ground, with just the
"head" raised up.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large