[Aroid-l] Anthurium regale fragrance

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium regale fragrance
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:50:19 -0600

About two weeks ago I stuck my foot in my mouth and asked why Anthurium regale was not producing a scent.  I was wondering if it never produced a scent.  Today is Day 51.  Well, yesterday the long anticipated fragrance appeared.  It was similar to a light, sweet perfume.  Last evening Dr. Croat prompted me to try to discern what time of day the scent becomes apparent and how long it lasts.  I started checking for a fragrance at 7:30AM, none was apparent.  Then several more times between 9:00 and 10:30.  The scent was there, but extremely faint.  But at 11:00AM it became quite apparent, that is the same time I noticed it yesterday.  I'm going to check hourly to try to determine how long it lasts during the day.  Dr. Croat commented about another  anthurium that gave off a scent only when it was not likely to be raining.  Now I'm curious if this time corresponds with the daily rains in Peru?  If anyone knows I'd love to hear about it.  Another interesting thing has become apparent.  In the past week the spadix has turned from green to yellow to ivory.  Today it is near white.  I'd like to know if anyone else has observed this happening with an A. regale spadix.  Stamens are still not visible.

Here's the link to today's photos if you'd care to comment:

Steve Lucas