[Aroid-l] Myrmecophilous Monstera????

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Myrmecophilous Monstera????
  • From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 01:28:28 -0500

While we are on the subject of shingling aroids - A friend of mine recently got back from Panama where she was doing some field work, and told me of how she found ants living under the juvenile shingling foliage of a particular Monstera species she collected as an herberium specimen. I had never heard of this occurring, and was curioius if ants do regularly live under the shingle phase leaves in a mutualistic relationship, as they are well-known to do in Hoya imbricata as well as several species of Dischidia with similar shingling habits. I just figured if it did regularly occur I would have heard about it by now. Would be curious if ants are present in Rhaphidophora as well.

Just curious!

Aroid-l mailing list