RE: [Aroid-l] a bird

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] a bird
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 05:29:59 +0000

From : 	Agoston Janos <agoston.janos@citromail.hu>
Sent : 	Monday, February 12, 2007 2:19 AM
To : 	"AROID-L" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] a bird

Dear Jami,

The hornbill mentioned by Wilbert is one of the species of a genus of large Asian and African birds, all/most of which have a long, thick curved bill, but with another growth that looks like a second bill attached to and above the real beak, or as if a structure looking like a cow`s horn (which curves upward) is attached to the bills/beaks upper surface. This 'horn' used to be carved (like elephant ivory) into tiny figures by the Chinese. These birds and their bills are now 'officially' protected. Wilbert published photos of the heads of these birds which had been killed by the locals in the area where he and Dr. Symon were discovering A. titanum. The male bird seals the female in a tree-hole during incubation, and feeds her through a tiny slit or hole in the sealed entrance during the entire incubation period.
I hope this helps.

Dear All,

I found in Deni's book of Aroids in the chapter of Amorphs, that maybe Amorph. titanum seeds are dispersed by hornbills.

But what is a hornbill? I cannot find it in any reachable dictionary. Please help me, it is urgent.

Thank you,
Jani<<