Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 6:29 AM
Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] a bird

>From : Agoston Janos <agoston.janos@citromail.hu>
Sent : Monday, February 12, 2007 2:19 AM
To : "AROID-L" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : [Aroid-l] a bird

Dear Jami,

The hornbill mentioned by Wilbert is one of the species of a genus of large
Asian and African birds, all/most of which have a long, thick curved bill,
but with another growth that looks like a second bill attached to and above
the real beak, or as if a structure looking like a cow`s horn (which curves
upward) is attached to the bills/beaks upper surface.   This 'horn' used to
be carved (like elephant ivory) into tiny figures by the Chinese.   These
birds and their bills are now 'officially' protected.    Wilbert published
photos of the heads of these birds which had been killed by the locals in
the area where he and Dr. Symon were discovering A. titanum.
The male bird seals the female in a tree-hole during incubation, and feeds
her through a tiny slit or hole in the sealed entrance during the entire
incubation period.
I hope this helps.

>>Dear All,

I found in Deni's book of Aroids in the chapter of Amorphs, that maybe
Amorph. titanum seeds are dispersed by hornbills.

But what is a hornbill? I cannot find it in any reachable dictionary. Please
help me, it is urgent.

Thank you,
Jani<<