RE: Fw: [Aroid-l] Comments--Santa Leopoldina

  • Subject: RE: Fw: [Aroid-l] Comments--Santa Leopoldina
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:06:13 +0000

From : 	Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
Sent : 	Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:36 PM
To : "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>, "Enid" <enigo@bellsouth.net>, "Leland Miyano" <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
Subject : 	Fw: [Aroid-l] Santa Leopoldina just got murkier!

Dear Friends,

I have compiled several notes from Steve, Dennis and Leyland discussing the ongoing saga of P. "Santa Leopoldiana" and have commented on what my opinions are, in the case of Leyland Myano`s note I have commented withing brackets [-----] after the paragraphs in his note where I wished to add something. I hope this helps, and would like to hear what Dennis and other owners of specimens ex: Bette Waterbury`s original plants have to say about my suggestions re: an exchange to distribute/share the too-small existing gene pool.

Good Growing!

Thanks Dennis, nice work.
Dennis, from my MEMORY (and that is not of the best these days), when this whole auction thing first got going w/ Betty Waterbury`s plants, there were three original plants that I believe either Dewey or myself auctioned off that very first year. I THINK that Trisha bought one, and Betsy another, I don`t recall who got the third (I just re-read your note, Dennis, and you answer my querry on these ORIGINAL three plants!) So now with Trisha`s most kind recent donations, the IAS may presently have repsentatives/offshoots of two of the three ORIGINAL plants ex. Betty Waterbury, Betsy has the third. Dennis, what about considering this suggestion---maybe we can convince Betsy to eventually trade you one of her off-sets for one of Trishas, or two of hers (IF available) in return for one of the IAS` AND one of Trishas, so Betsy will then have offsets of the three "originals", and the IAS will also have offsets of all three??. Dennis picks the story of the IAS-owned plant and its propagation from there on. If my memory is correct, the plants donated to Dennis/the IAS by Trisha are VERY important, as they may represent another one of the original clones ex: Betty Waterbury`s original aquisitions from Brazil, and therefor may be different genitically to the IAS plant. We may never know with absoloute certainity if the three ORIGINAL plants are different collections, OR just divisions from one plant, maybe close inspection and comparison of the IAS/'Dennis' plant to Trishas plants may show some significant difference?? We can compare Betsy`s plant to these at a later date?? The plants pictured on Dave`s web site purported to be this species are NOT this plant, MOST of them appear to represent a species that has been around a long while and has on occasion, either in error, OR as a ruse for profit, been sold under the name P. 'Santa Leopoldiana' or worse, P. spiritu-sancti. Others pictured also are various common species that have hastate lobes or just elongate leaves, they are not the specie we are discussing, though they may have been BOUGHT by their now- unfortunate owners as being this. There are TONS of the distinctive, purple-reverse side to the leaves Philodendron with longish internodes that grows at a very fast rate at many homes in WPB. I`d investigate Mic`s photos more deeply (we need Eduardo`s opinion!!), as I believe them to be very important, as these actually have a bloom and this is critical to ID, and also show the shape of the cross-section of the petiole---THANKS MIC!!.
I`ll comment on Leyland`s note after each of his comments, so see below---