[Aroid-l] Spathiphyllum cannifolium and orchid bees

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Spathiphyllum cannifolium and orchid bees
  • From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:21:08 -0500

Another thing from my email to share, and ask for help. Is anyone growing
this spath?

"Dear Derek,

Good to talk with by phone yesterday about my I wish to obtain some aroids
for research with the newly naturalized orchid bee (Euglossa
viridissima)that has come to S. Florida from somewhere in tropical America
(S. Mexico to Costa Rica is its native distribution).

The bee has been photographed visiting the flowers of Spathiphyllum
cannaefolium (S. cannifolium) in Ft. Lauderdale. I would like to obtain
flowering sized plants of this species to study the interaction of the bee
with this aroid. I would very much appreciate your help in helping me locate
plants to purchase. I would like to have 4-6 depending on their cost.

 I would appreciate learning of anyone who grows other species of
Spathiphyllum also.

I have attached a recent paper on the orchid for your information. Some
orchid bees also visit some Anthurium inflorescences and I would be
interested in any reports that you hear of that by this bee in Florida.

 Thanks and Best Wishes, Bob

Robert W. Pemberton PhD"

 I will pass on his email address to anyone who would like to get in touch
directly.

Derek