Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Asian epiphytes...

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Asian epiphytes...
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <botanist@malesiana.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:00:21 +0800

Dear Michael

No Homalomena, as far as I am aware, are obligate epiphytes. Having said that I have seen Homalomena griffithii growing epiphytically c. 3 m up the trunk of a large belian in riverine gallery forest in NC Sarawak; clearly the seed had lodged there either during floors or had passed through the dispersal agent. Homalomena fruits are inconspicuous but often strongly fruity-smelling and tasting and I suspect are mammal dispersed although I have no direct evidence to support this.

Alistair did a lot of work on the Homalomena of New Guinea and Bismarck and may well have further anecdotes of epiphytism. Interesting, some New Guinea Homalomena contain psychoactive principles thus it is possible for the observer to be out of their tree....

Very best wishes

Peter