Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Asian epiphytes...

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Asian epiphytes...
  • From: "Alistair Hay" <ajmhay@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:33:14 +1100

Thanks Peter! (out of my tree indeed!!!) LOL.

No epiphytic Homalomenas that I know of in NG, though one or two rheophytes. The ones with weirder habits/habitats are mainly Bornean as I recall. Several (especially allied to H. humilis/pygmaea) are epilithic or lithophytic (depending whether you say potato or tomato!).

I remember seeing H. cf hostifolia in Sarawak growing as a sort of trapeze artist on unstable streambanks: as the plant is undercut it falls and dangles by a root or two and sends out more aerial roots across to the vertical subtrate and hauls itself up again. [Peter this is from 12 yo memory! I may have the name completely wrong]. The elongate stems are twisted back and forth and around as they have repeatedly done this manoeuvre! I admired its athleticism.

H. expedita(Sarawak) is a stoloniferous colony-forming swamp plant (fresh and brackish) growing in full sun.

Peter, being in the thick of it, by now knows far far more than I do about thise things in Borneo!!

H. belula (Java), H. hastata and H elegantula (both Sumatera) stand out in the genus in having the habit of gingers and those Schismatoglottis allied to S. calyptratra: that is the shoot flowers terminally and subsequently dies, with the plant continuing by the release of one or more lateral shoots from near the base of the previous one - unlike many/most aroids where continuation of a shoot takes place by growth from immediately below the inflorescence.