Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Asian epiphytes...

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Re: Asian epiphytes...
  • From: RAYMOMATTLA@cs.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:49:39 EST

Thanks Tom,
One of the reasons why I asked is because many years ago, when i was much younger and with alot less knowledge on Aroids i spotted in one of those old Time Life books a picture of some Tree Ferns supposedly in Java.  In one of the crowns was growing some sort of saggitate leaved plant which looked very Aroid-like.  Its been a long time, like I said, so I cant remember exactly.  Guess it could have a Philodendron, as I suppose there are species that have been naturalized throughout the Tropics.
Speaking of neotropical Homalomenas and Time Life books...there is one titled The Amazon, (The Worlds Wild Places Time Life) with some great Aroid pics.  What looks like a Homalomena picturata growing on a black water stream, with what look like some sort of Syngonium growing in the fork of a tree on pages 10-11.  There is also a fantastic picture of a Monstera dubia, but the text says "Peperomia species".  Others pictured in the book are an unusual Philodendron, perhaps P. laciniatum and Montrichardia.  Great book to say the least!

Michael