Re: [Aroid-l] Hybrids and pollinators

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Hybrids and pollinators
  • From: "Peter Matthews" <pjm@gol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:07:47 +0900
  • Bounce-to: "Peter Matthews" <pjm@gol.com>

Dear Julius,

Your point is good, and here are some further comments that may help to
define the problem further.

A few years ago, genetic evidence for natural hybrisation between
Alocasia and Colocasia was first published. Much more needs to be
learned about this, through comparisons of the genetic composition of
Alocasia and Colocasia species and populations, and also through studies
of the insect pollinators.

Japanese entomologists have recently surveyed populations of pollinators
on Alocasia and Colocasia in Southeast Asia. In general, the insects are
host-specific, but this is not 100% - the pollinator swarms can include
up to four different species and in areas where both host genera are
present, there is a possibility that for behavioural or other reasons,
the insects move from one host to the other.

In my own research, I am hoping to look at this further, in collaboration
with entomologists. If others on this list would like to learn more
about this work, please contact me directly.

******