Re: Xanthosoma names .

  • Subject: Re: Xanthosoma names .
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:42:06 +0000

________________________________
> From: mickpascall@hotmail.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:06:36 +1000
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma names .

Dear Michael,

I took a QUICK look at the first page, and there are MANY errors concerning many of the names listed, so as far as I can see this page is pretty useless.
In many conversations I have had w/ Dr. Eduardo Goncalves of Brazil, the state of the Taxonomy of the edible species of Xanthosoma (and Colocasia) is in such a mess that he had plans for a complete revision of these groups.
As an example, in S. Florida everyone had always refered to the large plants which produce the white-fleshed,''slippery-when-cooked'' corms/rhizomes so popular with the Cubans (and us Trinidadians!) as X. sagittifolium.   I showed Eduardo a plant of this which at the time was growing near to the cafe at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami, he immediately changed his walks direction, and after examining the plant, told us it was NOT X. sagittifolia (as everyone had previously thought), but  without a doubt it was in fact X. robustum.
The list of my disagreements with the names on the list is way too long for me to go into here, I suggest that you ''keep your powder dry'', and enjoy your plants till the day comes when someone, hopefully Dr. Goncalves, can get to a revision!

Good Growing,

Julius