Re: OT: id this non-aroid plant?

  • Subject: Re: OT: id this non-aroid plant?
  • From: Bluesea <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:41:58 -0500

Steve, I'm thinking this may be some kind of Gesneriad.  The white flower reminds me a lot of Sinningia, perhaps Gloxinia.
The top and reverse of leaves look similar to African Violet or Gloxinia leaves.  The red bracts however are throwing me.

Steve Marak wrote:

Please excuse this non-aroid topic. I was asked if I knew what the plant
in the attached image is. I don't, and the leaves make me think of one
family, the flowers another, and the bracts a couple of others. But I know
many people on this list have very wide botanical interests, and I'd
appreciate any help.

I'm told the picture was taken in the rain forest near Arenal, in Costa
Rica, and that the flowers themselves were about 5 cm (2 in) long. I asked
for other images, especially of the flowers, but at the moment this is all
there is. But you guys are so good I feel sure it'll be enough.

(if anyone is wondering, I did get permission to post the picture ...)

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com