Re: OT: id this non-aroid plant?

  • Subject: Re: OT: id this non-aroid plant?
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:57:56 -0600 (CST)

Thanks, all. You guys are as good as I told everyone you were.

It's barely 7 hours since I posted the image; Michael Riley's reply, the
first one, showed up almost before I got my hand off the keyboard. Most
people, including a couple of private replies, went for Gesneriaceae. That
was my first thought as well, and I had spent hours looking at pictures of
gesneriads in general, especially those found in Costa Rica, but didn't
come across one of this species. (I then spent more hours looking at
pictures of other Costa Rican plants, mostly just for fun.) Adam Black
also suggested Drymonia turrialvae, and Jonathan's note puts the finish on

I've now found a couple of other pictures and I agree with Jonathan - this
looks like a wonderful plant. I love gesneriads and this looks like one I
want to grow, along with several others in the genus I ran across during
my earlier searches.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Ertelt, Jonathan B wrote:

> Steve,
> A wonderful plant, this is Drymonia turrialvae, a typically
> streamside-growing member of the Gesneriad family. Often in low light
> splash zone areas, the deep purple-backed roundish leaves can get close
> to the size of dinner plates - then come these clusters of white to
> slightly cream-colored blooms from the upper leaf axils, held close to
> the square stems. Truly a choice species.
> Jonathan
>  Aroiders,
> >
> > Please excuse this non-aroid topic. I was asked if I knew what the plant
> > in the attached image is. I don't, and the leaves make me think of one

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-L mailing list