hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: legal plant importation

Thanks Beth!  One of the two places I'd love to visit most (again) is Ecuador so this helps.  The second would be French Guiana due to the friendship many of us on this forum have with Joep Moonen.  In that case Joep has already offered to help.  Now we just have to wait to see what the "banker" will allow!

Thanks again!

Steve Lucas

Elizabeth Campbell wrote:
Hi Steve,

I can't speak for the other countries down here, but the first step for being to get live plant material out of Ecuador legally (non-CITES species, of course) is to apply for what is called a "Permiso de Exportar Plantas Vivas" at the Ministry of Agricuture in Quito. The paperwork costs about $5 per plant/sample/batch of seeds, and is valid for about a month. The kicker, though, is that you have to have the plant material with you when you apply, which can make things a touch sticky. After that, you talk to Aduanes at the airport (preferrably a couple of days before you are to fly) and show them all your paperwork - they'll note you down on a list and they won't quibble or detain you when you try to board your flight with the plants (even if you have all your paperwork with you, if you skip this step they'll try and make you miss your flight.)

Entry requirements vary according to your home country. In Canada, you just have to declare that you're bringing in a non-CITES species with paperwork from its country of origin, and if Customs asks you, you have to be able to show the Permiso de Exportar.

For the US, I believe that you need some paperwork from the States in addition to the Permiso - somebody correct me on this if I'm wrong. I've never tried to bring plants into the States, so I'm a touch hazy on this.

For Australia and the UK, no amount of paperwork is going to get your plants in without a (fairly expensive, I hear tell) permission from the government that you secured before you even left for South America.


Get the Free email that has everyone talking at http://www.mail2world.com
Unlimited Email Storage – POP3 – Calendar – SMS – Translator – Much More!

_______________________________________________ Aroid-L mailing list Aroid-L@www.gizmoworks.com http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/listinfo/aroid-l
fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement