Philodendron 'Xanadu' leaf mutations

  • Subject: Philodendron 'Xanadu' leaf mutations
  • From: Zach DuFran <zdufran@wdtinc.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:41:29 -0600

I have been growing a Philodendron ‘Xanadu’ for about 6 months.  A couple of weeks ago I noticed two odd features (mutations?) that I had never seen before.

The first is that two stems have “fused” together – all the way from the base of the stem to the leaf, including the first lobe of the leaf on one side.

The other possible mutation is a small extra leaf(?) rising from the midrib near the base of one leaf.  It reminds me of the small leaf that grows in the middle of the cladode of Ruscus hypoglossum.  (See this blog post with pictures: http://itinerantgardener.blogspot.com/2009/01/tricksters.html)

You can see my pictures of both mutations here:

http://myfolia.com/journals/39643-weird-leaf-mutations

The thumbnail images are links to the full size images on Flickr.  There is one image of the small, extra “leaf” and four images of the fused leaves.

Has anyone encountered these 2 growth habits before?  Are they normal or do I have a special plant? J

Thanks-

Zach DuFran