Re: Philodendron 'Xanadu' leaf mutations

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron 'Xanadu' leaf mutations
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:50:33 +0000

Dear Zach,

What you have observed are deformations, all commonly observed on this species of Philodendron.   You will also see ''double blooms'' on one peduncle, ''double spadices'' within a single deformed spathe, etc.
In time (years!) the plant MAY ''grow out'' of these chemicals and become a nice looking plant.
I believe these deformations are caused by the method that this plant is produced by the millions in tissue culture, or by chemicals the young plants are treated with to cause dwarfing and/or many plants growing and clumping together.
See my articles on P. xanadu in both Aroideana # 25 (where it is described as a new species By Dr. Croat, Dr. Mayo and myself) and my follow-up article in Aroideana # 31 where I touch on the ''whys'' of what chemical treatments MAY be doing to this interesting species, and picture plants which over years have grown out of the chemicals.

Good Growing,

Julius Boos
WPB,  FLORIDA