Re: Thermogenesis

  • Subject: Re: Thermogenesis
  • From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:24:30 -0800 (PST)

from: Michael Kolaczewski mjkolaffhbc@sbcglobal.net
To; aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject[aroid-l] Thermogenesis articles

If I may respectfully suggest, Symplocarpus foetidus would yield a good number of Google hits for you.
Googling "temperature regulation in Symplocarpus foetidus", will give you excellent results.
In fact, I just read an article on line from The Nature Institute, dealing with some of this issue.
Others from the Oxford journals, and Plant Physiology online, have valuable information as well.
Here in the Elgin, IL area, we are a few weeks away from the Skunk cabbage emerging.
I live just a few blocks from the Fox River, and there are several high quality natural areas,
 within walking distance, that have dozens and dozens of Symplocarpus flowering, along with
impressive numbers of Caltha palustris, that emerge shortly after.
It always a marvelous sight, at this time of year, often in ankle deep snow, to see those amazing
hoods emerging from the ground.
I hope this information will be useful to you.
Michael Kolaczewski