Plants cause oxygen deprivation at night.

  • Subject: Plants cause oxygen deprivation at night.
  • From: Tindomul Er-Murazor <tindomul1of9@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:32:20 -0800 (PST)

Might be talking about plant respiration.  In order for plants to make enegery, plants use oxygen just as we do and produce CO2.
The following is not a  normal example, but one that does spring to mind is the respiration rate of the skunk cabbage inflorescence.  The inflorescence actually uses more oxygen, higher respiration rate, than a humming bird in flight, and produces heat.
I don't remember my plant physiology all that well, so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that plants tend to use O2 more during the carbon cycle of photosynthesis (dark reaction).  The dark reaction is confused with it having to take place at night, which is not true.  Again correct me if I am wrong.

Aroid-L mailing list