Re: Plants cause oxygen deprivation at night???????

  • Subject: Re: Plants cause oxygen deprivation at night???????
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 07:20:10 -0600

Thanks Steve.  The idea appears frivolous but your observation makes perfect sense.  I had two people give me a scientific answer yesterday and I'm beginning to work on a new page for my site that will hopefully explain the myth and the science..........but I still need more good input!

Steve Marak wrote:
I assume that claim is based on the idea that while plants' metabolisms
produce a net surplus of oxygen, they do also use some oxygen, and that
therefore at night (when not photosynthesizing) they are technically
decreasing rather than increasing the oxygen in the room?

I have no actual measurements, but my immediate conclusion would be that
this is absurd from a purely logical standpoint, because anyone who sleeps
in a room with another person (or pets, for that matter) at night has
something with a much higher metabolism than plants using up their oxygen,
and no one has any concern about oxygen deprivation in that situation.

(For that matter, if it were true, even people with no plants in their
bedroom would be suffocated each night by all the evil grass, trees, and
shrubs outside ... where do they think the air in their homes comes from?)