Re: Plants cause oxygen deprivation at night???????

  • Subject: Re: Plants cause oxygen deprivation at night???????
  • From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:53:10 -0500

You might be interested to know that certain quacks in the 1920s were
sure that people would suffocate themselves while sleeping in an
unventilated room, plants or no plants. There was a very colorful
individual in those days named Bernarr Macfadden who wrote of this
threat. I have a book of his with a picture of a person sleeping with
his bed half-way out of a window. The idea was that you needed to
sleep with your head outdoors or risk death.

So one would reason since we did not see waves of suffocations that
we're pretty safe continuing the way we have for the last hundred
years. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest this is true
even in modern houses that are as air-tight as we can make them.

Imagine the distress that might be suffered by those people who happen
to live in the Amazon jungle. Surrounded by all that respirating plant
life should make it impossible for any warm-blooded vertebrate to make
it through even one night.

Ted Held, fearless of having plant nearby, even at night.