Re: Botanist Mike Madison

  • Subject: Re: Botanist Mike Madison
  • From: "John" <criswick@spiceisle.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:56:21 -0400

I used to hear the name Mike Madison a lot. He seemed to me to be  up there with Simon Mayo and the other leading lights.

To stray a little from Aracae this reminds me of a similar case in the 1970s.  One of the foremost, if not THE foremost Heliconia experts of the time (before John Kress and Fred Berry) was teaching botany at Hartwick College in Oneonta, New York State. On two separate occasions he and I made field trips in Grenada.  He had travelled all over the parts of Central and South America where heliconias occur, and told me that he thought Grenada’s heliconias were evolving, because the two indigenous spp. found here, H. caribaea and H. bihai, were freely hybridizing.  This he had not observed in either neighbouring St. Vincent, nor in Trinidad.

Although he and I corresponded, after not having heard from him for a long time I discovered that no-one seemed to know where he was.  Eventually I was told that he had dropped out of the botanical world and was making furniture !

Although I remember his first name was Robert, I am unable to recall his surname.

John.