Amorphophallus titanum

Dear fellows,

I have a silly (but important) question for you. As far as I know, Amophophallus is a masculine word, am I correct?

In Latin, except for the name of traditional trees (Malus, Pyrus, etc), all names ended in -us are male names. So it is correct to say that all adjective epithets in Amorphophallus species  end with -us (A. gomboczianus, A. hirsutus, A lunatus, A. glaucophyllus, etc).

Why Amophophallus titanum is not A. titanus? Other species with a similar epithet (I don't remember none in plant kingdom, but I know Dorcus titanus - a beetle)...  Wilbert, do you have any reason for this?

Very best wishes,

Eduardo.

INHOTIM
Dr. EDUARDO G. GONÇALVES

Curador Botânico

Jardim Botânico

Rua B, 20
35460-000 | Brumadinho | MG | Brasil
+55 31 3571.6638  Ramal Fixo 107         +55 31 9604.8618  Ramal 380

Rua Antônio de Albuquerque, 215 | Funcionários
30112-010 | Belo Horizonte | MG | Brasil
+55 31 3223.8224

Antes de imprimir, pense em sua responsabilidade com o Meio Ambiente.