Re: Philodendron selloum

> Date:          Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:17:02 -0600
> From:          dave-poole@ilsham.demon.co.uk
> Subject:       Philodendron selloum
> To:            rob.mcclure@sci.monash.edu.au

> I'm curious to hear of any successes with this species as a permanent
> garden plant in 'cool' areas ie. USDA Zones 9 or above.  Having gone
> through a winter here in England, where even Taro (Colocasia
> esculenta) has not died down and is now starting to produce new
> leaves, I'm very tempted to try this in a sheltered corner.  I
> understand the leaves are often killed by frost, but the 'trunk' can
> and does survive down to around 27F or even lower. =20
> I appreciate it probably needs good, hot humid conditions in order to
> make up in summer, but my little patch (a very sheltered, south
> facing, walled garden in the far south-west) is invariably very warm
> and humid throughout the spring, summer and autumn months.  Daytime
> highs of the mid to upper 80's and night-time lows in the upper 60's
> are not at all uncommon even during a comparatively cool summer.
> Gardenia jasminoides 'Florida', 'Butterfly gingers' (Hedychiums
> coronarium & gardnerianum) and even Christmas (Bracket) Cactus
> (Schlumbergera) flourish and flower without any problems

Hi David,

Fuss not over your P. selloum .
I am in zone 9 /10 in Australia with usually cool, wet winters and
very hot, dry summers .
I have two large selloums outside my office here and they grow like
weeds. They face north which means full sun in this hemisphere,
(very hot and bone dry in summer) they never get any watering other
than rain and I am constantly trimming them back so I can get the car
down the driveway.
They flower and fruit regularly and provide a terrific launching
pad for the possums that thump all over the roof when I am working
back late at night !  Your squirrels will learn fast !

I am surprised at how tough these plants are as they are growing in
the most  un-philodendron like place.

Your conditions sound like philo-paradise in comparison.
Be warned though, if they like the spot they grow quite large.

Biological Sciences
Monash University, Clayton 3168
e-mail: Rob.McClure@sci.monash.edu.au