Berry color of Colocasia esculenta

	Aroiders:

	I prepared a description of Colocasia esculenta for the Flora of
Veracruz treatment of the Araceae but no collection that I saw, nor any
literature that I could find had any mention of berry color.  I rarely see
it in flower and it may never get pollinated in these escaped from
cultivation areas where I have seen it.  So if anyone has seen it with
berries I would appreciate knowing the berry color.  Also if anyone sees
anything wrong with the description in other regards I would appreciate
hearing back from you.  Another point which I would like to clear up is
the number of inflorescences that it bears per axil.  I have one
observation that I made where there was only one inflorescence per leaf
axil but I am sure that it probably produces more.
	Tom Croat

Colocasia esculenta (L.) Schott, in Schott & Endlicher, Melet.
 Bot. 18. 1832.  Arum esculentum L., Sp. Pl. 965. 1753.

 Large perennial herb 1-2.5 m tall; stem a cormose or rarely rhizomatous
 subglobular to oblongoid caudex, mostly 15-18 cm diam, with close leaf
 scars around its circumference and with smaller secondary subglobular
 cormules in the lower part of stem; roots arising from the lower portion
 of stem; leaves arising in whorls from apex of stem; petioles (0.7)1-2.1 m
 long, glaucescent, sheathed 1/3 to about midway, the free part subterete,
 obtusely flattened adaxially;  blades conspicuously peltate, ovate-cordate
 to ovate-sagittate, 25-85 cm long, 20-60 cm wide, acuminate at apex;
 posterior lobes fused to about midway, the lobes rounded; major veins
 concolorous; midrib flat above, thickly convex and paler below; primary
 lateral veins 3-6(8) pair, arising at 50-70  angle; basal veins 5-8 pair,
 the 1st pair free to the base, the remainder variously coalesced into a
 prominent more or less straight posterior rib which extends to near the
 end of the posterior lobes; surfaces matte & glabrous, upper surface
 medium green, sometimes weakly subvelvety, lower surface moderately paler,
 glaucescent.  Inflorescences with peduncle 15-30 cm long; spathe 20-40 cm
 long, the tube 3-5 cm long, green on both surfaces; blades 15-30 cm long,
 pale sulfur-yellow to orange-yellow outside, slightly paler inside,
 oblong-lanceolate, arching away from the spadix or reflexed, twisted
 apically; spadix 6-14 cm long; pistils greenish, ovules unilocular with a
 single sessile stigma; ovules 37-67 per locule on 2 to 4 parietal
 placentas with sterile pistillate flowers scattered among the fertile
 pistils, these lacking stigma and style; staminate spadix cream-yellow,
 sterile staminate section of spadix markedly constricted, 2-5 cm long;
 fertile staminate portion about as thick as the pistillate portion,
 staminodia with 2-6 linear anthers, thecae dehiscent by terminal pores;
 terminal sterile appendage creamy white, many times longer than the
 fertile portion of spadix. Berries  color?; seeds 1.0-1.5 mm long, 0.7-1.0
 mm diam, ovate, pale yellow, longitudinaly ridged, bearing a conspicuous
 hilum at one end and a delicate, translucent funiculus; chromosome number
 2n=28.

 Native to some unknown area of Asia but now widely cultivated in tropics
 and subtropics of both hemispheres.