Re: Berry color of Colocasia esculenta

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Berry color of Colocasia esculenta
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 04:01:47 -0600 (CST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Tom Croat <tcroat@LEHMANN.MOBOT.ORG>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, January 03, 2000 5:43 PM
Subject: Berry color of Colocasia esculenta

Dear Tom,

See Aroideana Vol. 8, No. 3, pg. 83---"Ripe taro fruits are yellow, small".
I have seen about three, maybe more inflorescences per leaf axil, and I will
keep my eyes open around where I work next summer, there are escaped
populations that ferquently bloom.
You describe one of the forms that do produce a tuber/tubers, but many do
not, and they only produce these long, thin stolons.   There is also a
tuberous form which has started to turn up here in Florida imported from
Jamaica (I believe it is the same as the rare one we have in T`dad that we
refer to as 'Biche dasheen' [Biche is a small Eastern Village] or 'blue
metal', as the tuber cooks to a blue-gray color).  It has tubers that look
like portions of a smooth tree trunk, and are sometimes 'forked' so that the
plant would have had two tops on one lower tuber, quite different from the
globular tubers with prominent circular leaf scars that are more common in
Super Markets around here, and which cook to a white color and are inferior
eating to the 'blue metal' tubers.
There is some good information on wild populations of Colocasia in the most
recent issue of Aroideana which has just arrived here, an excellent issue by
the way!!
Hope this information is of help.

Sincerely,

Julius