Re: Berry color of Colocasia esculenta

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Berry color of Colocasia esculenta
  • From: Eric Simpson <crat@cris.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:11:49 -0600 (CST)

I have two 4 year old plants that I originally received as C. esculenta.  They
are tuberous rather than bulbous.  Last year these were extremely floriferous
(at least as far as these plants have been) having at least 15 blooms per
plant. As I have read that C. escuelenta was not good about fertilizing, the
pollen was collected from each flower as available.  By storing the pollen dry
until another bloom just opened, mixing the pollen with water and pouring
through the bloom, I was able to get about 100% fertilization.  The berries I
got were red and are now awaiting planting.  I didn't send the seeds to the AEG
exhange as I'm not 100% sure these are C. esculenta anymore.

Any way to determine if this really is C. esculenta?

Eric Simpson
Washington, DC