Re: How to Handle Berries of Pearl Anthurium

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: How to Handle Berries of Pearl Anthurium
  • From: rharias@juno.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:57:53 -0600 (CST)

George,
	Sorry for taking so long to get your message, I've been away.
	I've grown "Pearl Anthurium", Anthurium scandens, from seed many
times with great success. But let me warn you up front, the plants grow
fairly slow and may take as many as three to four years before you will
see the formation of berries on your seedlings.
	First, the seeds of this plant will stay viable for weeks if not
removed from the fruit. I have planted seeds that were removed from the
parent for at least two weeks, with almost 100% viability.
	The sticky "jelly" need not be removed from the seeds, it seems
that it is neither an asset nor a hinderance to germination.
	The seeds will germinate quickly (less then 4 weeks).
	I like to use a cell tray that holds many little cells in one
pack. I also like to use Fafard #2 soil (a commercial soil that is very
light weight yet retains a high moisture level once wet) as my medium for
anthuriums. Don't forget to water the soil before and after planting.
	The seeds of most anthuriums, in the wild, just grow where they
fall, on the surface of some substrate. Hence the idea of sowing the
seeds on the surface of the soil. But I have found that if you plant the
seeds on the surface of the soil they will develop what reminds one of
prop-roots. This works out well for anthuriums in the wild where leaf
litter is constantly falling. But I have found, through experimentation,
that if the seeds are covered with about an 8th of an inch of soil the
roots will not push the entire plant into the air. The roots will grow
downward and develop a strong system. So plant them a little below the
surface, they will do better.
	For A. scandens, I like to plant 5 or so seeds together. The
plants, when planted together, seem to ward off fungi that a single
seedling seems not to be able to defend against. The only down side to
planting seeds together in small cells is that they run out of nutriment
very quickly. So once the majority of the seeds have sprouted you should
start to fertilize right away. After the seed are planted, the tray is
covered and the  waiting begins.
	Once the seeds are up, write again and I'll try to help you along
the way.
	Good Luck!

Robert Arias
Tampa, FL