RE: *&*(^%$## Spider Mites!!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: RE: *&*(^%$## Spider Mites!!
  • From: "newton" <newton@coiinc.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:46:37 -0600 (CST)

Those mites sap a plant fast, especially in DRY heat. I use an indoor
insecticide made by Raid, which works quickly on spider mites. Plus,
increase the humidity with a gravel tray filled with some water under your
plants or a humidifier in the room, close to the plants. Mites don't do as
well with higher humidity. Test the spray on a plant first and see if there
is any adverse reaction for a day or two, but I have had no problems. Read
the label.

I first used this stuff when some potting soil I bought was infested with a
gnat larvae and the whole winter looked like I was going to have flying
gnats. One or two treatments with the indoor spray and the gnats died out.

Tim McNinch