Re: *&*(^%$## Spider Mites!!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: *&*(^%$## Spider Mites!!
  • From: Jmh98law@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:34:15 -0600 (CST)

Isn't it true that different pests have different life cycles? I know, for
example, that one kind of mealy bug has a 6 day life cycle, thus I need to
spray every six days at least three times to get rid of them. Pepper spray
works well on them and is non-toxic.

Wouldn't it be important when tackling pests to determine (1) the identity of
the pest, and (2) the life cycle of that pest in order to establish frequency
of spraying needed to destroy them?

Also, Jack, I never spray toxic stuff in the house or in the attached
greenhouse. My two Siamese cats are well-trained, but not *that* well
-trained. Even though they know they are not allowed in the greenhouse, they
sometimes go in there. I would not want them to walk anywhere I'd
"oversprayed" and get residue on their paws, then lick them.

I don't even spray with toxic substances for spring and fall when I could do
it outside to avoid poisoning my pets.

Jeanne M. Hannah
Traverse City, MI 49686
USDA Zone 5b