Re: Black Spathed Anthurium Hybrids

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Black Spathed Anthurium Hybrids
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:56:36 -0600 (CST)

Response to Tsuh Yang Chen:

To My knowledge no one has produced any usable hybrids for the
horticultural industry. I have seen several times the "Black" flowered
Anthurium which grows in the high altitudes in the Andes. I do not
believe that it has successfully used to make any good hybrids. I did
send a plant of Anthurium antioquiense (small, freely suckering strap
leaf, with small white flowers used in making modern pot type flowering
hybrids when crossed with A. andraeanum types) to a Phalaeanopsis grower
in Chicago area so that he could hybridize it to the Black Spathed thing
he got from growers in Colombia. He did get some results but I have not
seen them... he did not seem to excited by them.

The only black flowered one out there right now is A. watermaliense
which is really a Pachyneurium (Birdnest) type and not Calomystrium. If
any one knows of another black flowered Anthurium that will grow in a
nursery at sea level in the tropics, I would certainly like to hear
about it.