Aroider passes away

A few days ago I recieved a letter from the daughter of Ura Snidvongs
that he had passed away in November.  Although he was not on our
Aroid-l mailing list, he was a long-standing member of the International
Aroid Society from Thailand.

Aged 76, he had been a Vice Admiral in the Royal Thai Navy for 40 years.
He is survived by his wife, Ms. Marasri, his daughter, Ms. Apitha
and his son, Mr. Surawut Snidvongs.

As well as being a member of the I.A.S., he was also an avid member of the
International Palm Society.  He had also been the president of the Society
Ornamental Plants of Thailand.

I had corresponded with Mr. Snidvongs for several years and traded plants
with him.  I was lucky enough to meet him in person when I visited Thailand
in 1999.  Being a gracious host, he toured me around several nurseries in
Bangkok as well as his own personal garden.  It was a real treat to meet
someone with as much enthusiasm for plants as he had.

Those that knew him will certainly miss him, but his enthusiasm for aroids
palms that he shared with others will certainly not be forgotten.

Alan Galloway
Raleigh, NC