Re: S/nettles/calaloo.

  • Subject: Re: S/nettles/calaloo.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:06:09 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: <StellrJ@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: Missing?

In a message dated 1/1/02 10:59:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

<< The Amaranth is sold in bundles as Jamaican spinach, Jamaicans use it
(and
 not Colocasia leaves like we Trinidadians do) for THEIR 'calaloo', and folk
 in N. Florida call it 'pig-weed', and at least around my Trinidadian
 friend`s home compete w/ others in gathering it where it grows as a weed in
 newly ploughed or cleared ground!   I turned Mary Sizemore and Lynn Hannon
 on to it, they say it was THE best greens they have tasted! >>

<<>>Obviously, they have never tasted stinging nettle.  Amaranth is all
right,
but nettle is better.<<>>

But which one of the many 'stinging nettles', Jason??   In Trinidad there
are at least 3 DIFFERENT stinging nettles, and here in Florida what looks
exactly like the Trinidadian 'red' stinging nettle, (the least harmful of
the 3) does not sting!   I am told that it is used medicinally by Guatemalan
women. (By the way, Haitians look for, collect, cook and eat as one of their
'calaloos' one of the other common bed-weeds with yellow flowers belonging
to the Portulacaceae, their other 'calaloo' is made from Colocasia (called
'mazumbelle' in Haiti) leaves, now THERE is your Aroid link!

Julius