Re: DO NOT use "miracle ant chalk" Was Re: Ants! Every kind,Everywhere!
- Subject: Re: DO NOT use "miracle ant chalk" Was Re: Ants! Every kind,Everywhere!
- From: Jonathan Ertelt <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:57:19 -0600 (CST)
>In a message dated Wed, 23 Jan 2002 4:44:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>> i tried this stuff years ago when people would swear by it for roaches.
>>it didn't work. so not only is this stuff poisonous, it doesn't seem to
>Maybe that's because it isn't called Miracle Roach Chalk. A product
>designed for ants may legitimately be ineffective on roaches. To get back
>to the "homicidal" bit -- is any other chemical pesticide any safer around
>toddlers? Numerous household products can kill toddlers, but we do not
>say it is homicidal to use them for their intended purposes.
I don't think that the homicidal phrasing, or the quotes which followed,
were meant to be discourteous or over-the-top -- rather, they were a wake
up call to a product that is obviously (once thoroughly explored) at the
high end of the "dangerous to have around scale," especially if the space
is shared with young children. Of course there are nastier pesticides, but
few that could so easily be mistaken by a youngster for a standard
around-the-house item that has been put into the mouth before, with perhaps
mild to no scolding from the nearby grownup. With a colorful (though toxic)
box and poison that looks like a play toy ( especially for those who have
already started experimenting artistically on sidewalks) this stuff is a
whole heck of a lot more dangerous to have around than some carefully
labelled restricted-use pesticide that would (hopefully) be put away safely
out of reach.
Vanderbilt University Biology Department
Box 1812, Sta. B
Nashville, TN 37235