Re: Ongoing saga of P. tortum.

  • Subject: Re: Ongoing saga of P. tortum.
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:04:23 -0600 (CST)

Julius and all,

    This P. tortum question is getting exciting, so I will add more fuel to
the fire:

1. P. distantilobum - This species is pretty rare in cultivation, and the
only place I have seen real P. distantilobum in cultivation was in
Burle-Marx collection (together with other 200 species never seen in
cultivation!). If you want to see real P. distantilobum, take a look at page
126 of the Lorenziīs book of Burle-Marx plants. I have seen this species in
an old Exotica (I donīt know which edition), featuring that the picture was
taken in Burle-Marx collection. This is so different from real P. tortum
that I would never wonder that they could be confused. It has approximately
8 primary lobes per side and the leaf is usually parallel to the ground.
Young plants have leaves very long and usually poorly divided, so I donīt
think that any of Brianīs plants will turn to be P. distantilobum. I donīt
think that P. distantilobum is commonly cultivated, despite the name seems
to be much more common than the plant itself!!!!

2. There are more species with pinnatifid leaves from South America, that
are usually found in cultivation. There is a species that I described some
years ago (Philodendron mayoi E.G.Gonį., Kew Bull. 55:178.2000) that seems
similar to P. tortum, but has: 1. Wider (up to 4 cm wide) and fewer (less
than 4-6 per side) primary lateral lobes. It is much more common than P.
distantilobum in cultivation, probably because it grows in middle elevation
uplands in Central Brazil (up to 1300m), so it is more used to colder
climates than Amazonian P. distantilobum and P. tortum. 2. It doesnīt have a
hooked prophyll. 3. Its spathe is white, not purplish inside. If you want to
see a photo of this species, take a look at the Burle-Marx book (page 142).
Brianīs plant on the left could be a young specimen of this species, but I
really think he has two forms of P. tortum. It is a variable species, with a
wide range of occurence (at least 1000 km between known extreme occurrences,
i.e. Manaus and Acre). Believe me guys, plants can vary a lot, mainly when
they are young.

3. There is another species I know from Mato Grosso and Rondonia states in
Brazil that is probably new and I have been studying. It was collected many
times in the past and I also have seen it in Burle-Marx collection (he had
almost everything!!!). It is too similar to P. tortum, thatīs why I am still
studying it, but as far as I remember, the prophylls are not claw-like. Mr.
Merkle`s plant could be this form.  Maybe Brian have a small plant of this
species too.

    Conclusion: Guys, we can train our taxonomical skills with young plants
of unknown origin, but nothing can be seriously proved without flowering
plants. Letīs wait Julius series of pictures.

                                Best wishes,

                                     Eduardo.

Eduardo G. Goncalves
Laboratorio de Fitoquimica