Re: ongoing insects.- PREDATOR NEMATODES

  • Subject: Re: ongoing insects.- PREDATOR NEMATODES
  • From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:11:10 -0600 (CST)

Marc, I am afraid the story has got a little ahead of the real world here.
There are two nematodes in the genus Steinernema which are in (or shortly to
be in) commercial production for control of mole crickets and some other
insects of turfgrass. And there is one that is effective against black vine
weevil. I can point to sites on these if you don't have any luck with a
google search.
Ants, though are something else. There are some promising insects and also
fungi that look good on fire ants, but I haven't come across anything for
any of our others.
By the way, if you don't have the little buggars that Julius wrote about
(Wassmannia aureopunctata) count yourself very lucky. They have a sting
every bit as nasty as the description that Julius gave, and are particularly
hard to control since they not only have several queens per colony, but have
satellite colonies between which the workers pass freely, and nest anywhere
from leaf litter to high in trees. One of the less pleasant parts of South
Florida gardening when they drop on you as you work around!  Derek