[aroid-l] Rock wall construction

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Rock wall construction
  • From: "brian williams" pugturd50@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:14:15 -0500

Well, the walls are going up and I have found that using this rock is very easy. You really don't have to be to detailed with it. As I am basically using a this cement paste to on the rocks to hold them together but behind them am feeling it up with steal and a pebble and cement mix about 5 to 6inches thick. This gives me room to move the rocks forward or back some to gives it a more natural look. I have decided to build a large mountain in the center with a waterfall. I also plan to have it were you can walk up the mountain were I will have a small area to walk around up their. One wall the working on now will be fairly dry compared to the other side were I plan to place a liner on the whole wall and build the rock wall over it. The once done a small creek will be under the wall and a deep part at the end were a pump will pump the water to the top of the wall and threw a drip line that will fall back to the creek. This area I hope to grow more cool loving plants.

Also with the installment of our new boiler. I am now able to heat the ground and water using heated water. Most of the beds will be heated from underneath. I am trying to actually split the greenhouse into microclimates so I can grow as much as possible. The back area of the greenhouse will manly be raised beds using the same rock as the walls and mountain. But that back area will have a dry period for my Amorphophallus and other bulbous Aroids and ginger's. I have had great luck using the small bed already in the greenhouse. So my plan is not to add 4 to 5 beds 4ft wide and 24ft long making paths between each one. As you can imagine this is taking sometime to build but I hope to have a lot of it done by the end of this year.

I also plan to build a few artificial trees and have seen about many forms but I do believe Craig has the best idea. My problem is I cannot support the tree from above. So I plan to feel the lower base of the tree with steal and cement so I till be able to hold itself up on it own. But have yet to even start worrying about that yet.