Re: [aroid-l] New Colocasia

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] New Colocasia
  • From: Paul Tyerman ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:27:30 +1100

At 06:51  9/01/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a picture saved of Colocasia Elepaio.  From what I understand it's
>the same as Milky Way.  I could be wrong.  Either way, Milky Way is also a
>variegated Colocasia.  Mine was sold to me as Milky Way from Brian Williams
>and it seemed to have better variegation than the one pictured.....it is now
>dormant.  Brian may have more insight on this, or maybe a picture of his
>Milky Way.

Howdy All,

While we're discussing this, I saw at a local nursery recently a
Colocasia/Alocasia (I cannot remember which it was, but it just had a
generic tag in one of these names) that was almost bright red.  The leaf
blade itself was a deep red-pink with almost black stems to it.  This was
nothing at all like I'd ever seen in these before.  Where does this sort of
colouration come from?  Obviously it is bred for this colour, but does this
originate somewhere in the pigments of a purple leaf?

The query about the new Colocasia reminded me of this which is why I ask.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything
else that doesn't move!!!!!