Re: [aroid-l] Artificial trees

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Artificial trees
  • From: "Craig Allen" callen@fairchildgarden.org
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:55:24 -0500

When the Conservatory was rebuilt after Hurricane Andrew we use Buttonwood branches for an epiphyte tree because there wasn't time to construct artificial ones. (I had 2 weeks to get the display build and planted) They lasted about two years, and buttonwood is fairly rot resistant. Then we built the cork trees. The orchid tree is three years old, and the bromeliad tree two years. Around here in Southern Florida oak wood rots even faster.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road