Re: [aroid-l] Artificial trees

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Artificial trees
  • From: "Bryant, Harry E." HEBryant@scj.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:28:10 -0600

My 2 cents worth.  A memory from my youth....  Growing up in Kentucky I seem
to remember people using Black Locust for fence posts because they would not
rot (may not be applicable to the wet world in Florida).  These are fast
growing trees, have hard brittle limbs, beautiful thick black bark, and in
the spring a fragrant bloom.  I could see making a trip to areas where they
grow wild and collecting some limbs/trees to use or growing from seed if you
have the time ( As I remember they grow 2-3 feet a year in the wild.  In a
greenhouse they might double that rate.)

Our friend in Louisville should have access to large quantities of these
trees.  What do you think Brian?

Harry Bryant